2023 - A scoping review of I and F in pregnancy in relation to maternal thyroid function and offspring neurodevelopment

All adverse health effects of fluoride are related to thyroid hormone metabolism.
pfpcnews

2023 - A scoping review of I and F in pregnancy in relation to maternal thyroid function and offspring neurodevelopment

Post by pfpcnews »

Ed: The second sentence gives a clear indication as to the knowledge level/bias of the authors: "Fluoride (F), also an essential nutrient, strengthens bones and teeth, and prevents childhood dental caries." Fluoride is NOT an essential nutrient, and no "essential" function has ever been established. SEE: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=762

We shall address this "scoping review" at some other time in the months ahead.

Griebel-Thompson AK, Sands S, Chollet-Hinton L, Christifano D, Sullivan DK, Hull H, Carlson SE - "A scoping review of iodine and fluoride in pregnancy in relation to maternal thyroid function and offspring neurodevelopment" Advances in Nutrition Pre-print, 2023,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advnut.2023.01.003

Abstract

Iodine (I), an essential nutrient, is important for thyroid function, and therefore, growth and development. Fluoride (F), also an essential nutrient, strengthens bones and teeth, and prevents childhood dental caries. Both severe and mild-to-moderate I deficiency and high F exposure during development are associated to decreased intelligence (IQ) with recent reports associating higher levels of F exposure during pregnancy and infancy to lower IQ. Both F and I are halogens, and it has been suggested that F may interfere with the role of I in thyroid function. We provide a scoping review of the literature on I and F exposure in pregnancy and their individual effects on thyroid function and offspring neurodevelopment. We first discuss I intake and status in pregnancy and the relationship to thyroid function and offspring neurodevelopment. We follow with the fluoride in pregnancy and offspring neurodevelopment. We then review the interaction between I and F on thyroid function. We searched for, and found only one study that assessed both I and F in pregnancy. We conclude more studies are needed.