Chemical spill snarls I-65

pfpcnews

Post by pfpcnews »

Decatur Daily - May 4, 2006

By Seth Burkett

A tractor-trailer loaded with chemicals overturned on Interstate 65 on Wednesday, seriously injuring the driver and delaying northbound traffic for more than four hours.

The tractor-trailer, carrying 2700 pounds of sodium fluoride, wrecked about three miles south of Falkville at 4 a.m., state troopers said.

The truck driver, Melvin L. Jones, 60, of Huntsville, was taken to Huntsville Hospital where he remained in the neurological intensive care unit in serious condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Decatur Fire and Rescue's Hazardous Materials Unit responded to deal with leaking chemicals.

The Morgan County Sheriff's Department assisted with shutting down the northbound lanes of the interstate at exit 319, said Chief Deputy Mike Corley.

While rerouting traffic onto U.S. 31, a deputy's car became involved in a second wreck.

"Sgt. Tom Hines placed his unit, with all the lighting activated, there on I-65. The car was visible for a mile coming down Lacon Mountain. A lady came down and just ran into it," Corley said.

"He (Hines) wasn't in the car. He was directing traffic. There was major damage to our vehicle. ... It sure took a lick."

State troopers said the
driver involved in the collision with the county car, Jessica Lee Spears, 25, of Huntsville, suffered no injury in the 4:54 a.m. crash.

The interstate reopened at about 8:30 a.m.

SOURCE:
http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdail ... pill.shtml