2019: Dental Fluorosis = more Osteoporosis

Recent Research
pfpcnews

2019: Dental Fluorosis = more Osteoporosis

Post by pfpcnews »

Priyanka D, Vandana KL - "Oestrogen receptor Rsa I gene polymorphism in osteoporosis periodontitis patients with or without dental fluorosis" Indian J Med Res 149(3):364-368 (2019)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6607811/

Abstract

Background & objectives: : There is a paucity of information on association between dental fluorosis, osteoporosis and periodontitis. The aim of this pilot study was to evaluate oestrogen receptor (ER) Rsa 1 gene polymorphism in osteoporosis periodontitis patients with and without dental fluorosis.

Methods: Twenty one primary osteoporotic patients suffering from periodontitis with dental fluorosis and 20 primary osteoporotic patients suffering from periodontitis without dental fluorosis participated in this study. Periodontitis was diagnosed based on age, gender T-scores using clinical parameters such as plaque scores, gingival bleeding scores and probing pocket depth, clinical attachment level (CAL) and severity of dental fluorosis. DNA was genotyped at the RsaI RFLP (in exon 5) inside the ER gene to study ER Rsa I gene polymorphism in osteoporosis periodontitis patients with and without dental fluorosis.

Results: Patients with dental fluorosis had higher degree of osteoporosis than those without fluorosis. CAL was significantly higher (P <0.05) in those with dental fluorosis compared with those without. Rr heterozygote (21.95%) was observed in patients without fluorosis whereas RR mutant homozygote was absent in both the groups. Rr wild homozygote type was seen more in the patients with fluorosis (51.21%). Significant differences were found in distribution of these genotypes between patients with and without dental fluorosis.

Interpretation & conclusions: : This preliminary study showed the presence of ER I gene polymorphism in osteoporosis periodontitis patients without dental fluorosis. Further studies with large sample size are needed to confirm the association shown in this preliminary study.